Tuesday, January 10, 2012

How to Overcome Fears, Be Like Batman

Well me and Batman are sort of similar, and for those that may be concerned I am not going on a ego trip. well I am similar because me and Batman had some fears, different ones but we have them.  You see once upon a time I was afraid of dogs, I don't know why but I guess I was just not around them that much.  So when I got sent out here to California almost everyone has a dog and what used to be my most feared dog the pit bull there is a lot of them out here.   But the more i was around them the more I grew to love them, yes even the pit bull.  But believe it or not Batman had a fear can any of you guess what it was..............keep thinking.........you ready it was BATS!!!!!!!!  GASP!!!!!! NO WAY!!!! You can find this if you watch Batman Begins, but to become Batman he had to overcome that fear , go figure,  and it worked out for his good. Now just like me I have overcome that fear and  I love dogs now they are my favorite and I am going to get one because of my great love for them, haha, which will work out for my good too.  And no I am not going to get in a doggie suit and run around town grinding crime to a pulp.


But as I thought about fear, is actually something that can throw a curve ball, and keep us from progressing and especially progressing in the gospel of Jesus Christ,  now I am not saying that if you have a fear of sharks or of heights, or girls/ cuddies,   that is now going to stop your progress in the gospel, well maybe the fear of girls will, but the Lord can work miracles he has don it for me :)    What I am speaking about is a more spiritual fear, which Satan likes to use often. He will use things that will make us dwell on fear,  Like the end of the world is coming, or repenting of a sin and a fear that we are unforgivable, fear that things are not going to work out what ever it may be. These are just a few examples of the way Satan distracts us from remembering who we are, and that God has a plan for us, some of you my not know of his plan for us but just hit this link to view it.

But these are things that have helped me, is that I am a Son of God and that he loves us, and when we know that we do not fear anymore why, well in 1 John 4 :18 it says:

"Perfect love casteth out fear" 

Once we know that God loves us and will help us are fear seems to retreat and is filled with faith in him. This life is hard and we are going to have some scary times and he knows that and that is why he sent his son Jesus Christ to overcome the world,  Christ says in John 16:33

"These things I have spoken unto you , that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer I have overcome the world"


I find in amazing that even though we may be going through a rough patch the Lord Jesus Christ will not leave us comfortless in John 14:16-19


 "16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
 18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
 19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also."

I know that when we put are trust in Christ we have no reason to fear because he will comfort, because he still lives and he loves us and he knows what is best for us even though we may not see the reason why, when Joseph Smith was in liberty jail he even a prophet of god wondered where he was and this is what he said to him.  ( D&C 121, 122)



D&C121:7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
 D&C 122:And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.
 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?
I know that the Lord is aware of us and he is watching us and especially in these times of hardship but as we look to him he will comfort us and bless.  So if you are having a hard time pray to God, and he will answer you I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ amen




1 comment: